Red Hill CC History
Cricket had always been a popular game and picnic matches were often played. In 1899-1900 the Dromana Cricket Club played as the Kangerong Club but it was made up mainly of Red Hill Men. The first cricket pitch in Red Hill was laid down on the property of Andrew Haig in McIlroy’s Road and a team was formedwith Russ Trewin as Captain. The first match on this pitch was played on January 27, 1923against Main Ridge.Red Hill joined the Southern Peninsula Cricket Association for the season 1923-24. The first team didmoderately well, but the following season a new cricketing personality appeared on the scene – this was Cecil Eeles, a player of repute who had played with a country team against an English X1. In 1924 – 25 seasonhe became Captain and Coach and Red Hill’s first Premiership side was made up of the following: C. Eeles (Captain),J. Holland, C. Beck, S. Maine, G. Hansford, E. Haig, K. Cleine, R. Edwards, B. Shearing, R. Siggers and Robbins. Playing on the new pitch on the Red Hill Recreation Reserve ground.
Further Club History will soon be added.